Friday, July 27, 2007

Babies, Buttonholes and an Inspiration Scarf

I confess. Brown jumper has changed little (hangs head in shame). I was so keen to do my first buttonholes and my first neckband since I learned how to pick up stitches properly.

So, after such a horrid week, I gave myself an early mark on Friday to come home and get clicking! I'm really happy with this little jumper. And I'll be early - my friend's baby isn't due until September and it's a size 1, so won't fit him until next winter anyway.

Still got a sleeve to do! These are "stunt buttons" btw (acknowledgment to Rose Red for the term!)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I'm quite proud of my neck

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And - big news - today my wool winder arrived!! I was working on something horrifically complicated today, so decided to hole up in my study at home away from phones (and people!). Of course, the wool winder arrived just when I needed a break :), so my husband masqueraded as a swift and I wound up the Tasmanian yarn. It's so clever the way that little thing works!

And I defy anyone to wind up some yarn and not do anything with it immediately, just to see how it looks, of course. So one row scarf was cast on! After 10 rows, inspiration struck!! It was like a blinding flash in my brain! I knew how best to deal with this problem I had. My grey matter had been ticking away in the background while I half concentrated on knitting.

Brilliant. Wonder if yarn can be claimed as a tax deduction, to assist in pondering time? One can dream!

This is just from one evening - this little sucker grows like wildfire!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It is intended for a male friend, but am wondering now whether the splashes of pink and mauve make it a little too feminine? Glynn and I initially thought it was either "elegant masculine" or feminine, but Glynn's latest pronouncement is that it reminds him of Tom Baker's scarf in Dr Who! The only Dr Who, in my humble opinion!

9 comments:

  1. oh marvellous. I think a man with a excellent taste in fashion would find that a fabulous scarf to wear. Maybe not your footy loving, beer swilling yob...but a more refined man, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with Bells on the scarf.

    I purposely don't wind yarn until I'm ready to use it - otherwise I'd have 100 wips and no finished objects!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often solve problems while knitting, so it's definitely Work Time, isn't it?!

    I am in Total Agreement with you about Dr Who, BTW.

    Glad you've got that ball winder. Now for the swift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry, I'm going to have to stop you right there. Tom Baker MAY have been my one and only Doctor, but now it is David Tennant 'Sigh" And I 'sigh' every time I see him. Especially on Parky with his proper accent and smile!!!
    Nice scarf and I do love your Stunt Buttons!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And now she picks up stitches!! Youve taken "over achiever" to a whole new level;-) Gorgeous yarn - I agree, a man of taste would love it.

    I do love the one row scarf, its perfect for relaxing the brain. I've had several similar "a ha" moments working on mine!

    I'm with 2paw - I too thought that Tom B was the One True Doctor, until David T appeared on the scene....*sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just lovely wool for a scarf. It's definitely not too girly in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm afraid Christopher Eccleston was and is the perfect Dr Who for me. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the scarf looks fabulous. Absolutely gorgeous the colours. I can't get over how quickly you're knitting. And the little jumper is too too fabulous. Stunt buttons! ha Never heard that term, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some mindless knitting is often the way to solve a problem somewhere else (and as good an excuse as any to stop what you're doing and knit!)

    ReplyDelete