Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Is it too early for a Knitting Nemesis?

The brown jumper. Ugh! I hate it already! A bit of background. My younger brother, David, has some health problems associated with diabetes. Recently he stayed with Glynn and me for 2 weeks whilst he had eye surgery. At the time, I was knitting Glynn's navy jumper. David was very impressed with it and asked what the chances were of me knitting him one the same as he liked the pattern. It's just moss rib and very plain. "No worries!" was my response, being only halfway through Glynn's at the time and thinking I'd never tire of it.

So we jumped on the Bendigo website and ordered his wool. It's a lovely chocolate brown called "Mulga". I decided to do a sleeve, then the back, then the other sleeve, then the front - saving the most interesting bit until last.

But I now know it's going to be very hard work to finish it! It's very uninteresting knitting the same pattern in the same colour for such a long time. Hopefully the knowledge that my brother will really appreciate it will be enough to keep me going.

I've been rewarding myself with one pattern repeat on the scarf for every 20 rows of brown jumper! The scarf is now about 50cm long. But today I decided I needed another interim treat, so bought a pattern book of baby jumpers and some Zhivago in navy and a bluish-grey. A friend is giving birth to a little boy in September, so he'll get a nice little present! I'm also going to knit him a jumper in Merino Bambino, as recommended by Bells. But there's no reason he can't have two!

Back to the brown jumper .....

14 comments:

  1. It's not too early for someone like you who is learning so much so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay you for knitting your husby a jumper already - and a lace scarf - fabulous!! Welcome to blogging - you will love it! And you know, knitting - what a great way to relax after court. You can think of each stitch as the judge or the barrister on the other side (or possibly even the client!) - jabbing them with every stitch completed!! Better than a voodoo doll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the interminable boredom of the obligatory knit. He'll love it, though, and the purgatory of knitting it will be over.

    Welcome to the knit blogosphere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bells said to come say Hi, so
    "HI!!"
    [ waving from castlemaine ]
    I think the strategy of using the scarf as a reward for the boring brown shows a level of knitting smarts that will undoubtedly stand you in good stead :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, commissions (I do like taph's "Obligatory Knit" tho!) can get to be a bit of a millstone around one's neck!

    Welcome to blogging, and back to kntting - you've certainly jumped right on in. Well done Bells, another one for us mwahahahah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your brother will adore his jumper because you are making it with love, even though it's hard work at the moment. When he wears it, it will feel like you're giving him a big hug, so think of that when you are knitting and get that hug to him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, a project that becomes an Arch Nemesis is obligatory, I think, to be a bona fide knitter!! I do think Bells' reward yourself plan is such a good one too!! Happy Scarfing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome! I came to say hi from Bells'. I'm so impressed you knit your husband a sweater straight off. I haven't knit mine one yet. He's tall, with looooong arms. I'm ALSO impressed that your husband willingly posed for a blog picture. Congrats on all the progress!
    amy in faraway Rhode Island USA

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! Came over from Bells. Wonderful that sweater. I am also impressed that your mate was willing to pose.
    Needletart in Pennsylvania USA.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh you really do remember quickly-- you have multiple projects going like you've been doing it for years...

    ReplyDelete
  11. well that just cracked me up! a matter of weeks and youve already got startitis. thats when you know youre going to be alright. welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome - I only started my blog last week and it's addictive (you'll use up all your broadband following links!!!

    Congrats on the Jumper!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hahaha! you sound like Brownpants, you need something a little complicated to keep you interested. If you are after some soft 4ply with different colours than merino bambino, try retro from Nundle wool mill. It is divine and on sale!! http://www.nundle.info/nundle/
    ps. Welcome to the wonderful worlf of obsessive knitting and blogging!
    MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Velkomm from Vagga Vagga! Blogging is a brilliant way to be inspired and find solutions to issues. I know that when I got stuck on a pattern and put my issue up in a post before long someone had left the solution for me in a comment (thanks Taph!) And being ambitious is better than safe - you learn SO much more. You'll be trying socks next : )

    And welcome to the 'Tedious Project That Won't Go Away' - and associated Knitting Guilt. Yup - adult garments intended as a gift that languish forever in the UFO (Unfinished Object) basket.

    The only way to make it slightly less boring is to learn to knit without watching your needles - it's the equivalent to touch typing. That way you can watch mindless TV to relieve the pain.I note that watching anything particularly exciting or interesting will result in ribbing rather than moss stitch : )

    ReplyDelete