Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A time to reminisce ...

Carol suggested a post about learning to knit, which prompted me to dig out some of my Nanna's knitting. It was so even, fine and just perfect! I can only hope some of her genes passed on to me.

She died back in 1984, but I'm sure she's happily looking down on me clicking away!

Due to a bad car accident in her late 30s, she suffered from horrendous back pain and I imagine that knitting was very therapeutic for her. It probably gave her something to concentrate on and think about, other than pain. She was largely immobile and I remember her sitting in her favourite chair in the lounge, feet up on the ottoman, needles flashing away long into the night. Her hands moved so quickly you could hardly see them. I remember she used to hold the live yarn in her left hand, which Bells has told me is the continental method.

I recall the holiday I had with Nanna during which she taught me to knit. I'd begged her to make some clothes for my Sindy doll and in no time she was dressed in a cute moss stitch hat, a little pink jumper and a lace shawl, complete with tiny tassels! I so wanted to be able to do that myself. Ha ha!

Nanna pulled out some fat, yellow plastic needles with black blobs on the end. No way could I hold both in the air at once, so the right needle was braced on my thigh, tongue was out and a frown decorated my forehead as I struggled to form stitches. The wool was orange and my knitting had so many holes in it that it looked like a misshapen fishing net! But I didn't care - I was knitting with my Nan and that was all that mattered.

There's something very comforting about now finding joy in a craft that my Nan loved so much :)

As soon as I laid this shawl on the floor, our cat Libby commandeered it. Had to knock that one on the head quickly!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

A close-up
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. oh that's beautiful! Your nan was a beautiful knitter!

    I think a lot of us learned from the older women in our families. I learned to crochet thanks to my near blind great aunt.

    We owe it to them to keep the skills going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing piece of work - and how lovely that you have things of your Nan's.

    My Nan was a gun knitter too, and did lots for charity, until her dreadful arthritis got the better of her. My Bebbe was an amazing crocheter, really fine work, and I often wish I had learned more from her before she died.

    Thanks for sharing such a lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neither of my grandmothers knit. I think that is kind of strange but one worked to support her family and one was a self professed "broad" and wouldn't be caught dead with female things like knitting needles. I had to learn from books and the wonderful online community. I have learned that when I have a problem, there is always someone (usually someones) out there with an answer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your story - and that shawl - that is one fine piece of knitting - something to aspire to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing story! And your nan's work is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tanya, what gorgeous knitting. I learnt from my grandma, must tell that story on my blog. What a wonderful craft to pass down to your kids, although my Great Aunt taught me to crochet so I will always remember her for that too.

    As for the needle on the thigh method - I STILL DO THAT!!!!!!! hahahahahaha Is that bad? Have I never grown up?

    ReplyDelete