Saturday, July 21, 2007

Sourdough and socks!

A strange post title, but very fitting for today! A week ago, Bells and I decided it was time to make some sourdough bread. We made bread together for the first time last Christmas at my house. This time, breadmaking was simultaneous but hundreds of kilometres apart!

The starters were made on Wednesday morning,"sponges" were put together on Friday and today was the big day for kneading, proving, baking and, of course, sampling.

Breadmaking is therapeutic. Punching and kneading, combined with imagination, is extremely cathartic after a bad week :)

So here is my first ever sourdough loaf!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Great slabs were devoured with homemade soup, during a very late lunch.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

My second achievement today was the finishing of my first (full size) sock! It was a basic rib pattern that Bells put me on to. I saw the first pair she made with this pattern and they were way neater than mine but you can't expect miracles first go!

I used Lincraft Hot Socks. It was okay to knit with, although the different colours seemed to have different thicknesses. The pink was awfully fine compared to the red and purple. I did them with a set of 4 2mm DPNs. Haven't overcome the ladder problem yet, as you can see, but I'll get there.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The good thing is that I can now pick up stitches! So thanks to those of you who pointed me in the direction of tutorial articles. I felt a bit silly after I saw how simple it really is, especially with the slipped stitches. I also learned grafting, as the toe of the miniature sock I made last week resembled an arrow and I didn't want anyone to think I had pointy feet. It's bad enough having fat ankles - lol.

Alas, my brown jumper has languished in my knitting basket for the entire weekend so far. I am contemplating asking my husband to confiscate all other knitting until the back is finished. 30 rows to go before I even start shaping the armholes! Then another 68 after that. It is like being on a treadmill!

10 comments:

  1. I'm all teary with pride. Well, sort of. I'm totally thrilled you got the sock mojo thing happening so early on. I took six months to finish my first sock. You, my dear, are an inspiration.

    And it's been brilliant making bread with you today!

    Getting husbands to confiscate knitting makes me break out in a sweat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are indeed an inspiration, and a legend - I totally bow down to your ability to just run with the kntting thing! Talk about driven - you are in a huge black mercedes hooning down the fast lane of the knitting autobahn!

    Let us not speak of threats of confiscation again please. *shudders*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bread looks yummy. Sock is great - don't worry about the ladders, my first pair have terrible ladders but husby still wears them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh Tanya! I am in absolute awe. Not only being able to work out dpns and heels but actually finish the whole darn sock and wearing it. I can only imagine Bells being all teary at the thought.

    As for the sourdough, mmmmmm mmmmmmm! My favourite way of eating sourdough is toasted with lashings of butter and honey. Decadent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good grief, socks ALREADY? You are truly astonishing! Wow *faints*

    Mmmmm I love sourdough bread, haven't made it from scratch for over 10 years though... not much else better than homemade bread!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tanya,
    Thanks for your welcome to blogland, it's great to know there are other newbies out there :)
    I still haven't tackled socks yet, still knitting blanket squares and cushions :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, what a fantastic sock!! How exciting!!! Very nice bread too. I find knitters are more often than not cooks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for socks! I just did my first pair, but took the easy route and knit them with 8 ply and 4mm needles, so I am in absolute AWE of you!!! Good work and great Sourdough!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its so good to see a new "sister". From the way you picked up knitting, if I'm ever in trouble I want you in my corner.
    gemma

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow--that's an awesome sock... my first sock (there was never a second in the pair) floats around my kids toybox because I can't bear to throw it away--yours can actually be worn, and it looks very smart besides!

    ReplyDelete