Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A brave new world

Being entirely new to the world of blogging, I am filled with both fear and embarrassment. Fear in case no-one reads a thing I write and embarrassment in case someone does!!

A great friend of mine, Bells (sorry - don't know how to do hyperlinks yet!) has reintroduced me to knitting. I did a little as a child and I'm sure my grandmother used to despair of my butter fingers! Happily, I seem to have gained some co-ordination along with my wrinkles and have managed to knit a couple of things so far.

Bells has been very encouraging, despite my no doubt elementary questions and I think of myself as her apprentice (or Paduan if we were Jedis).

My biggest worry is that, because I jump in head first and try things that are too hard for me, I will become frustrated and chuck it all in. So I'm hoping to become part of the knitting blogworld so I have access to that world of experience and encouragement. Maybe in time I can add to that!

This is my beautiful husband, Glynn, in the very first jumper I made! It's less than a week old!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


My younger brother has put in an order for one in the same pattern, with chocolate brown wool. One sleeve down, one back waistband down and many, many stitches to go! For pretty relief, I'm also working on a "branching out" scarf. I've been desperate to knit lace and what's the worst that can happen? There are worse things in the world than frogging and starting again. That's a philosophy I hope I can hang on to!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. Oh hooray! Welcome to the blogosphere. You'll slot right in. I am so freaking excited for you!

    Hubby's jumper is beautiful. I think you did a marvellous job and branching out is a great scarf. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job with Glynn's jumper, Tanya!
    I'm proud of how far you've got - you'll be able to look at my progress on my blog eventually...I've just put some small pics there for now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job with Glynn's jumper, Tanya!
    I'm proud of how far you've got - you'll be able to look at my progress on my blog eventually...I've just put some small pics there for now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there and welcome to the world of blogs and knitting!

    No need for fear or embarrassment, as you are not alone and whatever you write will be interesting to someone - if not everyone.

    Your first sweater is fantastic! Please, please complete the brown sweater. You will feel so fabulous once it's done and given to your brother.

    What type of lace knitting are you thinking of attempting?

    Looking forward to your next FO(finished object)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sooooooo proud of you, you've come over to the dark side!! haha Actually when you mentioned that you throw yourself into things with gusto, I imagine that you will do likewise with your blog.

    Have fun, visit, comment. It's all good fun, and how nice it is to admire other people's work.

    The jumper is amazing, I'm still in awe and as for the lace scarf, as I mentioned the other night, my goodness I've only ever done normal stitch for scarves.

    Isn't it just wonderful, the gift of giving a bit of yourself in these beautiful creations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the world of blogging :) You're very brave to do "Branching Out" - I did it because I heard it was a good beginners lace pattern, but now I know more about knitting, I know it isn't easy!

    Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, hooray, another knitter who jumps straight into lace!

    Welcome to the knit blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to the world of blogging - and knitting. It's a fun place. I'm very impressed with your first sweater. I have been knitting oh- my-God-27-years-I-can't-believe-I-just-said-that-or-worse-that-it's-true... but anyway. Nothing ever fits, even now. I bet you're a better blogger, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome Tanya! I only recently started blogging and thought the same thing, what if no one ever reads it, and what if people read it once and deem it too dumb for words and never come back and tell other people not to read and what if the sky falls and....And the truth is that everyone has had the same feelings and it gets easier as you decide how comfortable you are with the whole thing. It is supposed to be fun and it has been wonderfully educational and lovely to meet new people all over the place (although there are quite a few of you in australia). Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  10. That evil Bells - bringing you to the dark side (blogging/knitting)....congratulations - a Branching out and a nice fitting Jumper? What a start.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome to blogging! You have some gorgeous stuff for a newbie to knitting! Alas I am not a knitter, but a crocheter, but I can still recognise knitting talent when I see it ...

    I've just notice you are in Brissie - you may know my brother who is also a barrister. Works in LegalAid.

    ReplyDelete