Friday, July 24, 2009

The Heartbreak of a Hole

Remember my brown nemesis? That bane of my life? It has returned to me for surgery. I have had it for some time now - since May in fact. I have trawled moth hole repair sites, studied and thought.

My brother was very upset when it happened - it's his favourite jumper and he wears it so often that my sister-in-law has to prise it off his body for occasional washing. He has no idea how it even happened, other than it was probably a mouse when they were staying at a friend's farm overnight. He wore it in the evening, took it off to go to bed and when he put it on in the morning, it looked like this.

Photobucket

I am thinking I will stabilise the stitches by sewing around the hole with contrasting embroidery thread and tying the top and bottom stitches together, then try and reknit the missing stitches using a crochet hook and then graft together at the top. It is the sides that worry me - all I can think of doing is weaving in the ends, which won't look that great. Incidentally, "tying" is one of those words that looks incorrect no matter how you spell it! Like "manoeuvre".

It is something that will require some peace and quiet, which is something we haven't had much of, with all our visitors. It also requires daylight - Glynn is an environmental globe fiend, which means there's not much strong light in here at night. I am determined to somehow fix it so it's at least wearable, even if it becomes more of a home jumper. Why couldn't that mouse have nibbled at the armhole or something? It would have to be right over the sternum - couldn't get a more obvious place!

Hopefully one of my posts in the near future will have a photo of the repaired brown nemesis. My brother is coming down in August and I'd like to have it finished for him then, so he at least gets to wear it again this winter. Tell you what, he had better get me a cracking good bottle of red for this!

Back to Spring Forward No 2 and a quiet night in front of the telly for a change. Our remote is broken and we can't change the TV channel. Never heard of the dials on one of those old wooden cabinet TVs breaking. Lucky it's stuck on ABC so I don't miss Trial & Retribution.

4 comments:

  1. I do indeed remember the Brown Nemesis, I had a hole in my Doctor Who ZippyUppy cardigan and I used this article on Knitty to help me successfully fix it.
    http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/FEATrepairs101.html
    I found it very helpful!!!
    The ABC is a good station to be stuck on. Is there not a secret panel that flips down on the front of the TV to let you do TV-ish things???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I would cry, I truly would. I couldn't even help you here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm glad 2Paw posted the Knitty link! It should help. This does really have to be fixed after all that effort!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay 2paw - what a great link

    My repairs are usually the opposire of invisible - so I'd listen to her!

    ReplyDelete