Sunday, August 12, 2007

A willingness to frog ...

to fix a mistake is the mark of a good knitter, I have been told! And today I had to frog 20 rows of brown jumper sleeve number 2. A milestone has been passed. I was clicking away watching Anne of Avonlea last night while Glynn was at work. This morning, I noticed that I had done an even row where I should have done an odd row. Bum!! So I frogged it and have now passed it on to Millicent. Her brain is only the size of a pea, so she is unlikely to become bored with it.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I should probably introduce Millicent properly. She is rather prissy and, despite the jaunty bow on her head, a little conservative. But her unzipped abdomen did yield up a set of 2.75 DPNs that I forgot I had, which was very generous of her. Actually, that's a worry. I've been knitting since May 14 this year and I'm already forgetting purchases. Hmmmmm.

It is a time of indecision. I was so in love with my passionfruit knittery yarn that I simply had to start something. Jaywalkers were commenced, on 2.25s, but I soon got fed up with the double decreases. Just too difficult in that slightly thicker sock yarn and disaster almost struck in the form of a snapped knit pick DPN! So they were frogged.

Consultation was had with my newly arrived Sensational Knitted Socks book and waterfall rib socks were then commenced on 2.5s (after ripping the needles out of a grey striped basic rib!). The going was slow on that and came to a standstill while I consider what to do. Bells suggested lacy mock cable socks. But after seeing that it involved casting on only 56 stitches I was worried they may not fit my tree trunk ankles. A brainwave struck! My sister-in-law has size 7 feet and smaller ankles, so I figured I'd make her a pair of lacy mock cable socks, in some Opal yarn I had, and try to squeeze them over my clodhoppers.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I'm loving this pattern!! The leg was churned out in a few hours. The heel took some time, as it's, I understand from Bells, one step along from an eye of partridge heel, as the wrong side row is Sl1, P1 all the way across.

So now I have 4 socks on the go, all different!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The grey ones do look a trifle forlorn with no needles don't they? I'm thinking of frogging them and doing something different anyway - maybe garter ribs.

Have been doing a little shopping from Little Knits since they're having a sale. There was a lovely Regia sock yarn in burgundies and cream. Unfortunately, some horrid person walked out with it without paying, so it won't be coming to my house :( I simply don't know how anyone could bear to knit with something they stole. I hope they throw them in a boiling hot wash with their white sheets, which all turn pink and the socks turn into booties. Is that bad karma?

But, on the bright side, Glynn came up with a solution for a little problem. When I knitted his jumper, which was my very first big ticket item, the first piece I did was the back. It had some mistakes in it, so I made another one. But what to do with the first?

Time for some background. At the beginning of the year, Glynn and I rescued a 2 year old part Himalayan cat from the RSPCA. We renamed her "Libby". She had been abused and was very timid. Just coming out of her shell now (and how!!). Unfortunately, she has formed a liking for sleeping on our bed and kneading my cream damask duvet cover. Aaaaaggghhh!!! Because she's so uncertain of people, we are loathe to kick her off all the time and reject her.

But, she also loves Glynn's moss rib jumper. So, a catbed was purchased, lined with the discarded jumper back and she looks very happy with her new arrangements. When she's totally in love with her bed, it will be relocated to the windowseat and the bed will be ours once more! I do so love a happy ending!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Today we decided to enter her in our vet's pet of the week. That's really quite obsessive isn't it? But Glynn did this comic and I thought it was so cute that we just had to give her some publicity. Of course, the 10% discount prize doesn't hurt, either!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. Another sign of a true knitter - 4 different socks on the sticks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only 4 socks on needles, but lost and refound tools! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cutie Libby is. We, too, have "rescued" cats (Calvin and Hobbes). Calvin was immediatedly friendly and very needy but Hobbes couldn't stand to be touched. At first. Now, however, he is very demanding and when he wants to be petted, you pet him, or else he won't leave you alone. I am amazed at how they have wrapped us around their paws.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, yes, you have truly come over to the dark side when you're forgetting about what you have in the stash / needle case!!

    Libby is lovely (and good on you for rescuing, warms my heart), and I do like the comic! She looks very snug and safe in her new bed ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto what everyone else said about finding forgotten purchases. I do that ALL the time.

    Lucky libby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh and Millicent is a cutie too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Libby is gorgeous! What an absolute cutie. I, too, bought a lovely quilt cover totally unsuited to the abuse the resident cat would give it. Harvey Mudd is a big fluffy black cat who sheds gleefully over everything. I've had to resign myself to black hairs on all surfaced, including linen. sigh. Excellent use of failed project. My failed felted laptop bag has also become Harvey's transport cage rug!

    Everyone around me is breaking out into socks and Ravelry. I'm resisiting this bandwagon - socks are my nadir : P

    ReplyDelete
  8. And I forgot to ask about your dealings with LittleKnits - I am sooooocoveting US yarn right now, and their prices seem good. OK if I email you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Tanya,
    Luv the pics of your 4 socks on the sticks, glad I'm not the only newbie knitter with several w.i.p.
    Hope Libby wins the pet of the week, she's beautiful, and looks very happy in her new home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of course Libby loves the jumper!! How very cute she is and lucky too!!! Nice socks, the Opal looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done on the socks - and your willingness to frog is delicious - when you're willing to frog mohair - for the eighth time you'll be a knitter my daughter - as for rediscovering knitting - and re-discovering the things you've forgotten in your stash - I'm so glad someone else does that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How is Milicent faring with the brown jumper?

    Have you seen "I can has cheezburger"? VERY funny (mainly) cat pics...with 'web speak' captions.

    I'm in awe of you 4 socks on the go - is there no stopping you, woman?! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Firstly Tanya, there is no such thing as obsessive where cats are involved, and certainly not a kitty as gorgeous as Libby. Love the cartoon Glynn did. She looks ready to pounce in the second pic.

    As for the socks, oh my! Bells really has created a monster! hahahahaha Only kidding. You've actually inspired me to start that 1 row scarf and I've done an inch tonight, although I'm doing it on a lovely thin wool, I think it's 8 ply, gosh it might even be smaller. Shall post pics later.

    As for Millicent, I'm glad you have such a trusty helper by your side. I bet she will get up to some hijinks before too long!! te he

    ReplyDelete
  14. hiya! went to your profile to try to email you this, but no luck on contact info...so I thought I'd leave you a comment. I just wanted to direct you to knittinghelp.com I really like this tutorial site because there are videos for almost every technique/stitch. Even a set of tutorials for sock making (turning a heel, etc)...and for picking up stitches

    hope this helps!!!

    ReplyDelete